Galactic Nerf Herders Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones

3 posters

Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Game of Thrones

Post  tan Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 pm

I finished the first book last night, the show was so good i wanted to read it. They're both awesome but you can get a better understanding with the book. What has surprised me the most is that i look forward to the catelyn chapters. Specifically anything that has to do with the relationship between lady stark and jon snow. I think my favorite moment in the book so far is when the "bastard" girl helps catelyn cross the path and she's forced to examine the relationship with her own bastard. Its just unbelievable, you can imagine how she openly hated this kid for 15yrs and now you can slowly see an apology building, i can't wait to read it.

Do you consider drogo a villain? His tribe is pretty brutal but i can't say that i hate him, he's actually kinder in the book. The wedding night scene, in the show, to me, it kinda looked like rape, but in the book he undressed her and then asked for permission.

The book is really well written, the characters have their flaws but you don't end up turning your back on them completely. Can't say that i dislike any character so far except for joffrey.
tan
tan

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post  irzi76 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:09 am

Read all 4 books and the first 3 were really great lots of plot twists and human savagery. The fourth booked practically sucked mostly fully of political back stabbing and for the reviews I read on the fifth book is nothing but the same. Really pissed me off to enjoy three of the books just to be let down by the fourth and I won't waste money on the fifth one unless I find it really cheap. Don't know when the sixth one will be finished.

As for Drogo even in the show he really was not a villain Twisted Evil

irzi76

Back to top Go down

Post  tan Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Its hard to believe that there's a lull in this series. I'm going to try and not give away any spoilers.

My fav characters so far are arya and drogo, and its really interesting what he did with drogo. The book is so well written that he could take a character like drogo, who when you think about it could be a major bad guy, and turn him into a character that's kind of noble and loving. Its one thing to think that his kalasar is violent within the group but all they do is go around raping and pillaging the people of the free territories, even hunting down young shepherd boys, and drogo commands the biggest kalasar ever. It's weird, when reading it you end up completely disregarding his actions because all you see is his deep love for danerys. That and he was such a badass you couldn't help but respect it on some level.

Right now i'm starting to think that danerys is a villain in this story because even though all she wants is to go home, she's willing to step on the entire world to do it. Ned may have taken the moral high ground against robert but the king was right. She wanted to take the throne back before she knew about the hit out on her. She's been a victim the whole time so there's some sympathy there but what is she doing, she's practically trying to avenge crazy tyrants... she's in the wrong.

Anyway, main thoughts so far.

And its a shame that tyrion is a lanister.
tan
tan

Back to top Go down

Post  tan Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

"His lips looked like two worms fucking"

These books are such a treat, i'm in the middle of book II.

On a side note, i've been sick for the past two weeks, all i'll say is stay away from irish oatmeal, the stuff almost killed me.
tan
tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Blatant Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I listened to the first 4 books last summer in anticipation for the series. I enjoyed them a lot. My favorite characters are Arya, Tyrion, and of course Jamie... I will not give away why I like Jamie, but it basically boils down to character development. Some are fleshed out nicely, while others are barely touched. Anyway the books are a treat and come on Season 2 already!!!

Blatant

Back to top Go down

Post  tan Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 am

Hey Blatant

I know, i can't wait to see how they handle season 2. I'm on book 3 now and one thing that i've noticed about the series, the way he writes, is that even though it seems like all the characters are in harms way, even thought it seems like no one is safe, at the same time it seems like people are just receiving the repercussions of their actions. Right from the start ned stark doesn't heed the warning of one of the black brothers, he doesn't really listen to him he just marks the scared man as a deserter and lops his head off, that's not justice, and he pays for it. At the start of book 3 tyrion is going through some pain but he really deserves it for that hellish scene with the wildfire. Anyway, its still good stuff.
tan
tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down